ABU DHABI (UAE): The Monster Energy Can-Am Team enjoyed a sensational team performance at the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge, the punishing five-day second round of the FIA World Cup for Cross-Country Rallies.
Coming from fourth place to win the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge is proof of Casey Currie’s incredible driving skill—and his ability to get the most from his Monster Energy Can-Am Maverick X3.
The first-ever American to win this 5-day FIA Cross-Country Rally event, Casey led fellow South Racing driver Reinaldo Varela to a 1-2 finish in class.
This result placed the Maverick X3 Turbo R fourth and fifth in the overall standings—again, mixing it up with larger, more powerful purpose-built desert racing machines.
To pull off the win, Casey was able to turn a 43-second deficit before the final stage into a victory by more than a minute.
Congratulations to both drivers, the entire South Racing Can-Am team—and the other racers who keep showing the competition what the Maverick X3 can do.
2019 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge – provisional results (@13.30hrs)
1. Stéphane Peterhansel (FRA)/Andrea Peterhansel (DEU) MINI John Cooper Works Rally 18hrs 03min 45sec
2. Khalid Al-Qassimi (ARE)/Xavier Panseri (RA) Peugeot 3008 DKR 18hrs 12min 33sec
3. Aron Domzala (POL)/Maciej Marton (POL) Toyota Hilux Overdrive 18hrs 50min 01sec
4. Cassie Currie (USA)/Laurent Lichtleuchter (FRA) Can-Am Maverick X3 (1st T3) 19hrs 43min 18sec
5. Reinaldo Varela (BRA)/Gustavo Gugelmin (BRA) Can-Am Maverick X3 (2nd T3) 19hrs 44min 30sec
6. Vladimir Vasilyev (RUS)/Konstantin Zhiltsov (RUS) BMW X3 CC 19hrs 44min 44sec
7. Martin Prokop (CZE)/Viktor Chytka (CZE) Ford Raptor RS Cross-Country 19hrs 56min 05sec