Phil Blurton is crowned the 2020 BitD PRO Turbo Champion (No Limit R&D Can-Am) following two impressive podium finishes at the season-ending BitD BlueWater Desert Challenge (Oct 22-25). Without doubt, Blurton’s season at the wheel of his Can-Am Maverick X3 has been one for the record books, finishing every race on the podium and, incredibly, winning four consecutive Vegas-To-Reno events (2017-2020).
“We came into this race with a pretty good points gap, but it was a double points round, which made it more nerve-wracking,” Phil Blurton says. “If 2nd place won, we needed to finish top 10 to win the Championship.”
“It was a different format than we’re used to, a 2-day event with two shorter races times combined to find the overall winner.”
“My plan going in was, ‘We can back it down a bit,’ but after Day 1, 1st to 14th was covered by a 1-minute time spread. Day 2, we went, ‘Oh, we really have to push’—because losing only 1 minute could cost us the Championship. So we ended up pushing pretty hard.”
“All in all a good season, we had a podium in every single race—four 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd. Our Can-Am Maverick X3 was a rocketship all year long, and it makes things a little easier with such a great platform to race with.”
Held in Parker, Arizona, the BitD BlueWater Desert Challenge featured the best of the best, with a season-ending double header to decide the Championship. One bad result on either Saturday or Sunday could have meant disaster. But Can-Am machines did what Can-Am machines do -- win.
For our rivals, it was a disaster: Can-Am racers spent the weekend at the front. In the series’ two strongest SxS classes, UTV Pro Turbo and UTV Unlimited, Can-Am Maverick X3 machines claimed race wins, as well as the overall Championship.
Michael Isom (Mobbin Racing) is the other recently-crowned Champion for Can-Am Off-Road, winning the BitD UTV Unlimited class after a season of great results in tough race conditions.
“It was not easy,” said Isom in a social media post. “For those of you who know what it takes—so many variables. Huge thanks to our trusted sponsors and talented pit crew.”
Finally, congratulations to up-and-coming racer Austin Weiland for his first major class win in the UTV Pro Turbo class!
Can-Am FAST 5
1. Phil Blurton, No Limit R&D, BitD UTV Turbo class Champion for Can-Am - @phil_blurton
2. Michael Isom, Mobbin Racing, BitD UTV Unlimited class Champion for Can-Am - @mobbin_racing
3. Corry Weller, Weller Racing, recently crowned the LOORRS Champion; the only Can-Am Maverick X3 racer in this series & winning against other SxS brands. @corryweller
4. Dustin Jones, S3 Power Sports, finishing 2nd this season in BitD UTV Turbo class - @dustinbattleaxejones
5. Austin Weiland, Weiland and Associates Inc. (@aweiland27), Pro Turbo class winner & Randy Raschein, Tiger Lights / LSR (@randyraschein), Unlimited class winner at the BlueWater Desert Challenge.