September 7th, 2010 (update of July 17th 2009)
Re: Dynamic Power Steering (DPS) Unit Replacement
Dear Can-Am On-Road® Dealer / Distributor,
This notice is being sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act and other applicable laws. Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. and BRP US Inc. (“BRP“) have decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Can-Am Roadster models and are conducting a voluntary safety recall as specified in the attached Safety Campaign Bulletin.
What is the potential problem?
A situation may occur where you may need to exert a force greater than expected to initiate the turning of the steering handlebar of your vehicle in order to correct its trajectory. At this increased level of force the handlebar may be turned more than you had intended. If this occurs you may steer your vehicle out of lane which increases the possibility of a crash with other traffic or of a drive off the road.
To confirm that your VIN (Vehicle identification Number) is affected, contact your authorized Can-Am On-Road dealer or BRP at 1-888-272-9222 between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Eastern time 7 days a week.
What will BRP do?
BRP is sending a Safety Recall letter to all known registered owners of the involved Can-Am Roadster, including all owners initially notified in the July 2009 DPS safety campaign (2008-6, 2009-2). This letter urges that the owners immediately contact their authorized BRP Can-Am Roadster dealer in order to have the vehicle repaired. Also, BRP posted this notice and attached Safety Campaign Bulletin on its BOSSWeb dealer web site (www.bossweb.com) and on its public web site (www.can-am.brp.com). The solution is to replace the DPS unit with an improved version of DPS assembly. If a customer as previously responded to the July 2009 campaign listed above, he is instructed to respond to this 2nd phase fix.
What should you do?
1. Do not sell, deliver or use any involved vehicle that you have in stock as federal law requires you to complete the recall service on these vehicles before delivery.
2. Contact all of your customers who have purchased an affected vehicle. You must inform them about the foregoing and must request them to make an appointment to get their vehicle repaired. Affected vehicles which already have had the software upgrade also need to have the DPS replaced with a new DPS assembly.
3. Follow all instructions provided in the attached Safety Campaign Bulletin.
4. If for any reason you are unable to conduct this second phase of the campaign on a vehicle eligible to the 1st phase (DPS Software Update) and on which it was not already conducted, you are requested to perform the 1st phase of campaign (ref. bulletin 2009-2). Contact your service representative for instructions on how to claim this repair.
Please note that the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act provides that each vehicle which is subject to a recall campaign of this type must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the owner has tendered it for repair. Failure to repair within sixty (60) days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time. The owner may be entitled to an identical or reasonable equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation.
What to do if you feel this notice is an error?
This notice was mailed to you according to the most current information we have available. If you no longer own this vehicle or some information in this notice is incorrect, please contact BRP at your earliest convenience.
If you have questions or need assistance, or to find the nearest authorized BRP Can-Am On-Road dealer:
- Call In USA and Canada 1 888 638-5397
8:00 to 18:00 Eastern time
Your continued satisfaction with your Can-Am On-Road is important to us. Please understand that we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and your unit proper operation. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.
After-Sales Service Department