June 17, 2021
Possible Fire Hazard in CVT Belt Enclosure When Using a Track Kit in Snow
Dear Can-Am® Owner,
BRP is conducting a safety recall on some model year 2020 and 2021 Can-Am Traxter with HD10 engines which could have been modified with a track kit and are used in snow conditions. BRP has reported this matter to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Our records show that you own a potentially affected vehicle.
What is the potential problem?
If the involved vehicles were modified with a track kit and used in snow, without relocating the CVT intake, the stock CVT air intake may become completely obstructed with snow. In this condition, at high load, the drive belt could overheat, break in pieces and start a fire from the CVT enclosure. This could result in serious property damages, injuries or even death.
Which models are involved?
Some model year 2020-2021 Can-Am® Defender models with an HD10 engine that were modified with a BRP or after-market track kit used in snow conditions, which do not have the BRP CVT air intake relocation kit.
What should you do?
If your vehicle is modified with a track kit, is used in snow conditions but does NOT have the BRP air intake relocation kit
● Please contact your authorized BRP Can-Am Off-Road dealer to schedule an appointment to have the safety recall performed on your vehicle. The dealer will install a BRP CVT air intake relocation kit. This action will take 1 hour to complete.
● BRP will cover the cost of the relocation kits and the installation for vehicles modified with a track kit purchased prior to June 17, 2021.
● The relocation kit for models equipped with a snorkel will be available starting from October 31, 2021. For the other models, the kit is already available.
● While BRP is paying for relocation kits for vehicles with an after-market track kit in the interest of safety, BRP still strongly recommends that customers purchase BRP accessories.
● Until you have a relocation kit installed, BRP recommends that you inspect the CVT intake in deep snow conditions to ensure blockage does not exist. If blockage does exist, carefully clean the snow from the filter.
Location of the stock CVT for models with snorkel
Location of the stock CVT for models without snorkel
If your vehicle is NOT modified with a track kit
Your vehicle does NOT need to be updated.
If you ever wish to install a track kit in the future, please consult your BRP dealer.
If your vehicle has a track kit but is NOT used in snow conditions
Store this letter in your operator’s guide in the vehicle so it remains handy and is available for future owners.
If your vehicle has a track kit, is used in snow conditions and has already the BRP CVT air intake relocation kit
The presence of aftermarket modifications will not prevent you from receiving this service at no cost. The presence of these modifications, while the service is being completed, will not void any existing warranty or service contract.
What to do if you feel you have received this notice by mistake?
This notice was mailed to you according to the most current information we have available. If you no longer own this vehicle or some information in this notice is incorrect, please contact BRP at your earliest convenience.
Your safety and continued satisfaction with our products are a priority for us. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and remain committed to facilitate the process as much as we can.
Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.
BRP Customer Services Department
If you have questions or need assistance, or to find the nearest authorized BRP dealer:
• Visit www.brp.com
• Call: 1-888-272-9222 from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm Eastern time 7 days a week
More information is available on the CPSC website